The i9 9900k is undeniably one of the most powerful commercially available processors currently available on the market. Using this processor, you will certainly have the best rigs out there. It won’t be exaggerating to say that it’s the fastest and most updated processor.
Whether you are just a casual gamer or gaming enthusiast who wants to upgrade their PC, getting the most recent processor should be your foremost priority. However, the i9 9900k tends to heat up fast, which elevates the temperature within.
Subsequently, it’s important to achieve the most out of the processor that can be accomplished by overclocking it and pushing its competencies. In this comprehensive guide, we will reveal the top-recommended best CPU cooler for i9 9900k to help maintain the temperature in the best way.
The other section of this guide will focus on buying aspects that highlight the factors you should consider to make a valuable purchase. Also, don’t forget to go through the quick buying tips. Let’s get started:
- Best CPU Cooler For i9 9900k Comparison Chart
- Best CPU Cooler For i9 9900k
- Factors To Consider When Buying Best CPU Cooler For i9 9900k
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words:
Best CPU Cooler For i9 9900k Comparison Chart
300 – 1500 RPM
9.25 x 11 x 7.5 in
SecuFirm2 Mounting Kit, Noctua Metal Case-Badge
Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
1200 – 1500 RPM
5.35 x 5.74 x 64.09 in
Virtually Inaudible Operation
NZXT Kraken X72
1,600~2,800 +/- 300 RPM
15.5 x 1.06 x 4.7 in
New Performance Engineered Pump Individually Addressable RGB
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT
300 – 1300 RPM
5.98 x 5.79 x 6.26 in
Haswell-E optimized base, Screw driver included
Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO
18.66 x 5.75 x 7.28 in
Dynamic Multicolor RGB Lighting
NZXT Kraken X62
500 – 1800 RPM
13.66 x 6.1 x 8.23 in
Infinity Mirror Design, Performance Engineered Pump
Best CPU Cooler For i9 9900k
1- Noctua NH-D15 (Editor's Pick)
- Intel Compatibility: LGA2066 / LGA2011-0 / LGA2011-3 (Square ILM) / LGA1156 / LGA1155 / LGA1151 / LGA1150
- AMD Compatibility: AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / AM3+ / FM1 / FM2 / FM2+ (backplate required) / AM4 with NM-AM4
- Material: Copper, aluminum, connected joints & nickel plating
- Fan Speed: 300 – 1500 RPM
- Fan Size: 140mm x 2
- Bearing Type: SSO2 Bearing
- Noise Level: 24.6 dBA
- Heat Pipes: 6 Copper Heatpipes
- Cooler Height: 165mm
- Operates optimally and quietly in heavy workload
- Finest airflow management
- Great RAM clearance ability
- Features air pads that assist in noise reduction
- Comes with two 140mm fans on both sides
- User-friendly mounting mechanism
- Some people may not like the color
- Slightly expensive
Noctua NH-D15 is one of the best CPU cooler pairings with i9-9900K and definitely for many good reasons. We found the cooler very quiet while operating under load and has unmatched cooling performance even without water.
The NH-D15’s cooling is effective enough that its efficiency is on par with a 280mm AIO cooler. Also, the functionality is pretty close to a custom water-cooled look.
The silence typically comes from high-quality Noctua fans, and the experience is absolutely exceptional. When it comes to the best CPU coolers for i9-9900K, it should be one of your preferences.
- Our Verdict:
If you are searching for an air cooler that is both silent and overclocks nicely, then the Noctua NH-D15 makes a great choice for you. You will be able to get adequate overclock using this cooler. The build quality is up the mark and offers value for money. Highly recommend it!
2- Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 (Very Quiet)
- Intel Compatibility: 1150 / 1151 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011(-3) Square ILM / 2066
- AMD Compatibility List: AM2(+) / AM3(+) / AM4 / FM1 / FM2(+)
- Noise Levels: 24 dBa
- Number of Fans: 2X120MM
- Cooling Methodology: Air
- Projected release: Q2 2018
- Looks very cool with an all-black finish
- Decoupled fan intensifying
- Seven cutting-edge high-performance copper heat pipes that make the most of heat conductance
- Exclusive wave-contoured cooling fins for quiet airflow
- Slight dots on the fin surface create a major cooling area
- Fins have enhanced RAM compatibility
- Installation needs some patience
Be quiet! It has a well-deserved repute for generating silent computing products featuring almost quiet coolers, fans, and cases. To thoroughly understand the CPU cooler, it comes with the highest build quality, effective performance, and almost inaudible noise output.
It has distinct black covering with ceramic elements for optimal heat transfer. The unit keeps an upkeep for an extra 120mm fan. Also, the scrubbed aluminum topmost cover with a high-quality diamond-cut texture.
Pricing for the Dark Rock Pro 4 will surely not break your bank. The cooler is reasonably priced with multiple features similar to the large premium air coolers. When it comes to aesthetics, you are sure going to consider it.
- Our Verdict:
Great aesthetics, particularly if you are not enamored with most things RGB and similar to a stealthy build. Featuring an appropriate size, the cooler is operating effectively and quietly. Overall, there are hardly any complaints about the design or performance. If you are looking for the best CPU cooler, don’t forget to consider it at least once. You won’t regret it!
3- NZXT Kraken X72 AIO Liquid Cooler (Best Premium)
- Intel Compatibility: 1151 / 1150 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / 2011-3 / 2066
- AMD Compatibility: TR4 / AM4 / FM2+ / FM2 / FM1 / AM3+ / AM3 / AM2+ / AM2
- Number of Fans: 3X120
- Size: 360MM
- Noise Levels: 21-26dBa
- Weight: 1290 grams
- Cooling Methodology: Liquid
- Lighting Technology: RGB
- Cutting-edge lighting modes
- Three-fan optimal combination
- CAM software for effective control over the fan
- Nicely engineered air-cooling system
- Temperature can be monitored with the software or application
- Aer P radiator fan for efficient air-cooling
- Can get somewhat louder than other CPU coolers
- Expensive model
Being a 360MM AIO, the cooling effect of NZXT Kraken X72 is up to the mark, which means more surface area equals efficient cooling. You just need to ensure that the correct amount of space to mount the big 360MM radiator.
There is a stretchable nylon-coated tubes for enhanced safety. Fan and pump are independently regulated along with high performance engineered pump. The cooler comes with a clean and precise design that allows extreme overclocking.
Moreover, you will find innovative lighting modes for a complete dynamic lighting experience. What’s more interesting about it? The independent addressable RGB and eternity mirror design is CAM powered for all-inclusive software monitoring. There is a protected and protracted tubing for improved durability.
The fans are designed with high-performance cooling, enhanced durability, and silent working – thanks to the Aer P radiator fans. The cooler is best appropriate to large PC cases and overclocking fanatics.
Combining the cooler with a standard clocked I9 9900K is just a waste of the cooler’s potential. As the cooler is best coupled with OCed I9 9900K’s 360MM AIOs, which makes it very powerful.
- Our Verdict:
From our in-depth research and experience, we can say that this cooler works better than any traditional air coolers. Being a 360MM AIO, the cooling efficiency is great, and the fans are designed for high-performance cooling, enhanced durability, and silent functioning. Also, you don’t have to worry with 6-year warranty.
4- Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT (Best Budget)
- Intel Compatibility: 775 / 1150 / 1151 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / 2011-3 / 2066
- AMD Compatibility: AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / AM3+ / FM1 / AM4
- Fan Speed: 300 – 1300 RPM
- Fan Size: 140mm x 1
- Cooler Height: 159mm
- Bearing Type: Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB)
- Noise Level: 20 Dba
- Heat Pipes: 7 Copper Heatpipes
- Efficient performance
- Outstanding build quality
- Reasonably priced
- Individual 140mm fan is sufficient for unmatched performance
- Sleek and ergonomic design
- Expansion-slot clearance could be improved
- Only 1-year warranty
If you are looking forward to a CPU air cooler for i9 9900K that meets your expectations, Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT makes the right choice. The air cooler works silently and provides enhanced RAM clearance that makes it our top pick.
This nicely-designed cooler comes with a large heatsink along with seven copper heat pipes. Further, it features a 140mm quiet fan that offers maximum noise rating of 20dBA only.
The cooler comes with Haswell-E optimized base and VGA clearance. The black nickel color surely appeals to many users. Also, easy and quick mounting with included screwdriver makes it a preferable choice.
The offset design of heatsink permit enhanced RAM clearance and compatibility. Thermalright’s Le Grand Macho RT comes with or without a fan. Also, it has the option of using dual fans.
- Our Verdict:
Featuring seven copper heat pipes, noise reduction capability of below 20 DB, and regulated airflow, it offers good value for money. If you want an efficient performance and minimized noise levels, this certainly takes the top spot without any doubt.
5- Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO AIO Liquid Cooler (Best Performance)
- Intel Compatibility List: 1150, 1151, 1155, 1156, 1366, 2011, 2011-3 and 2066
- AMD Compatibility List: AM2, AM3, AM4, FM1, and FM2
- Size: 360MM
- Number of Fans: 3X120MM
- Noise Levels: 25 dBa
- Weight: 960grams
- Cooling Methodology: Liquid
- Lighting Technology: RGB
- Modifiable RGB backlight
- Magnetic hovering for improved fan speed
- Regulated by Corsair iCUE software
- Well-matched to diverse sockets
- ZERO RPM mode stops turning in low temperature
- Somewhat expensive
If air cooling is not adequate for i9-9900K, you may want to opt for an AIO liquid cooling system. Considering your requirement, we truly recommend the enthusiast-grade Corsair H150i Pro. A stock cooler is more than enough for everyone looking forward to overclocking the i9-9900k past 5GHz.
If your case can physically support it and you are planning on overclocking, this CPU cooler will deliver effective performance. 360MM AIOs are factually overloaded for a non OCed CPU.
Corsair H150i Pro RGB comes with RGB color that can be regulated by software. Fan and pump speed can be monitored from PC. The unit produces minimal noise with adequate amount of air-flow. Also, it takes no time to mount and install.
- Our Verdict:
You will see an exceptional performance, especially for overclocking. Also, the clean and sleek design, particularly for cooler pump, will certainly attract you. Many users overrate the heat output of the I9 9900K, and subsequently, this cooler aims for overclockers that want to embrace as much effectiveness as possible out of the CPU.
6- NZXT Kraken X62 AIO Liquid Cooler (Best Airflow)
- Intel Compatibility: Socket 1151, 1150, 1155, 1156, 1366, 2011, 2011-3, 2066
- AMD Compatibility: SocketTR4, AM4, FM2+, FM2, FM1, AM3+, AM3, AM2+, AM2
- LED Modes – Preset Modes: Secure, Breathing, Declining, Canvas, Covering Marquee, Beat, Spectrum Wave, Blinking, Tai Chi, Water Cooler, Loading
- Radiator Size: 280mm
- Fan Size: 140mm x 2
- Fan Speed: 500 – 1800 RPM
- Reactive Modes: Smart and Audio
- Fan: Silent, Performance, Custom and Manual
- Pump: Silent, Performance, Custom and Manual
- Pump Speed: 1,600~2,800 +/- 300RPM
- Features: RGB LED Lighting, CAM Software support, Sleeved Tubes
- Excellent aesthetics
- Fit and finish are optimal
- Solid performance
- Advanced engineered pump
- Comes with Aer P radiator
- Improved lighting modes
- Without any added features, it is $10 more than the Kraken X52
This AIO operates Core i9 9900K at stock speed comfort, and you might want to overclock it to 5 GHz on every core without encountering throttling concerns. This build quality is very impressive, and it looks great in your system.
Typically, the fan noise level is 21-38Dba, with the fan speed of 500~1,800 +/- 300RPM, which is pretty impressive. We highly appreciate the durability and superior quality. Further, you will find CAM powered for software control.
With the shiny metal head unit, the stained top lens, RGB LED show, smooth looking radiator, and sleeved tubes, the cooler gives optimal performance and operates silently. It is somewhat expensive than the competition, but certainly worth your purchase. Overall, you can never go wrong with NZXT Kraken X62.
- Our Verdict:
After several hours of research and testing, we found that the X62 has the most awesome pump and boosts effectiveness by incorporating a large 280mm radiator. Also, we observed that the model is among the finest looking AIOs on the market.
Factors To Consider When Buying Best CPU Cooler For i9 9900k
If you are a proficient gamer or an overclocker, you are more likely to have a better idea when buying a CPU cooler. Still, it’s important to go through the checklist at least once in a while. For beginners, it’s a must to be well-informed about technical aspects before they make their first purchase. Here we have listed some points to remember.
1- What Exactly Do You Need?
2- Air Cooling vs. Liquid cooling
There are primarily two types of cooling systems available, including air cooling and liquid cooling. Liquid cooling is capable of absorbing more heat than the traditional air-cooling system. However, it is relatively expensive. If you are tight on budget, you may want to opt for an air CPU cooler.
The air cooler comes with a big metal heat sink and a fan that keeps air away from the processor. For this purpose, you need to check your CPU’s socket type and ensure the dimensions are compatible with your PC case. CPU fans do not require to be loud while the volume needs to be on the box.
It is certainly something you want to check prior to committing to a purchase. The second selection is the liquid cooling system. These are frequently known as all-in-one or AIO liquid coolers. They transfer cooling liquid to the fans from your processor in a circle, which helps in removing the hot air out of the case.
Liquid coolers are more efficient and typically the quieter ones. However, they are slightly tricky to install and costlier. Choose the appropriate option that comes down to what you feel comfortable with considering your preference and budget.
An effective cooling mechanism makes sure you get the best out of your PC as well as maintain the temperature on long gaming sessions. It’s crucial to ensure that your system gets the finest possible airflow while selecting the best CPU cooler for i9 9900k .
3- Universal CPU Socket
Most of the CPU-coolers we have discussed in this guide are compatible with traditional sockets we commonly use. Though certain models require specific sockets. Be sure you are familiar with them and have provisions to meet the requirement.
4- Avoid Noise
A CPU cooler is inclined to make an irritating sound when everything around you is quiet and calm. You should preferably opt for a cooler that produces the minimal decibel of sound such as the Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro Liquid CPU Cooler.
5- Quick Buying Tips
- Look for RAM clearances primarily if you have air cooler. Usually, big and dual-tower air cooler has the potential to block the RAM slots that prevent the installation of long RAM sticks.
- If you are looking for both an effective and budget-friendly option, an air cooler makes the right choice. They are very common for a reason. You can easily find an air cooler on par with 240MM AIOs for a fraction of the price. Also, 240MM AIO cooling power is sufficient enough to cool an I9 9900K.
- More fans result in better cooling but at the same time more noise.
- Make sure you can regulate RGB settings – adjusting the mode and turning it off. This can be typically done with the cooler’s software.
- If you want a mid-high overclock to get a reasonable amount of air or AIO cooler, then the NH-D15, & Dark Rock Pro 4 comes with great overclocking ability.
At The End, It's Time For Some Information About Intel Core i9 9900K
Intel Core i9 9900K presently holds the popular title of the world’s fastest gaming processor. It is the quickest desktop processors on the market when it comes to user-level mainstream CPUs.
Undoubtedly, this is the leading CPU in the Intel 9th generation core series processors and is designed with the 14nm manufacturing process. Intel Core i9 9900K is an octa-core processor that comes with 16 threads and features 16MB cache in total.
It has received a base clock speed of 3.6 GHz and a turbo boost frequency of 5 GHz. Though this Turbo boost of 5 GHz is mainly for two key cores and the remaining cores, function at less turbo boost clock speeds, which are 4.8 GHz and 4.7 GHz.
Further, the processor uses the LGA 1151 Socket and has a TDP of 95W, though the number can be exceeded by an effective margin during overclocking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does i9 9900k need liquid cooling?
The i9-9900k from Intel is the ultimate powerhouse of a processor. Since its producing much power that can frequently result in overheating, you need a cooling system to compensate for the heat level. Traditional fans may not work well, particularly in heavy-duty functioning, and this is when the liquid cooling capabilities come in.
How hot should my i9 9900k get?
With almost similar power dissipation and cooling conditions, we can measure a mean package temperature 57°C for the Intel Core i9-9900K and 75°C for the Intel Core i7-8700K.
What is the best CPU cooler for i9 9900k?
If you are looking forward to creating a rig or updating your current one with the recent version of the Intel i9-9900K processor, the best CPU cooler makes an important requirement.
It will prevent overheating and, at the same time allows maximum performance. In our viewpoint, the Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO is the best CPU cooler for the i9 9900K. It’s an all-in-one solution.
The Intel Core i9 9900K is a durable, fastest, and most updated processor currently available. No matter if you are a gaming pro or occasional user, getting the latest processor is surely your foremost consideration. Considering the high-end features of the product, it heats up quite fast.
To combat this issue, you will primarily need a CPU cooler to maintain suitable temperature and keep the device running at its full potential. Above we have discussed the top 6 best CPU coolers for i9 9900k. You may want to choose any of these for an excellent job.
Regardless of which option you go with, be sure that you are snagging a large radiator size of about 280mm. It shouldn’t affect the heavy loads for a long duration. Also, go through the quick tips to make yourself familiar with fundamental aspects. Make a Smart Choice!