Discord is quite a useful application when it comes to gaming. However, since the Discord community has been increasing drastically, it is not just a gamers hub anymore.
Head to the solutions below to run the Discord Error-free:
1. Delete Discord Files
Just like all other programs, Discord stores temporary data on the computer to make it function as efficiently as possible. But, sometimes, these data files are the main culprit behind displaying this error and interfere when a program runs.
Now, to start the Discord error-free, it is important to delete the troublesome files.
Follow these steps, to delete the discord files:
- First of all, Close the Discord from the Task Manager. To do so, right-click on the taskbar and select task manager from the drop menu. Locate the discord process from the running programs and select End Task.
- Now open the run dialogue box either by searching in the Windows Search Bar or by right-clicking the Windows start menu icon and then selecting the run from the options.
- Once the run windows appear, type “%appdata%” in the dialogue box and hit the run button.
- Now once the corresponding Window opens, search for the folder named “discord” and right-click and press delete from the menu
- Now launch the run dialogue box once again as in step 2.
- Type “%localappdata%” in the dialogue box and press the run button.
- Again find the Discord folder in this directory and delete it by right-clicking and then selecting delete from the menu.
- Go to the Discord installation folder and relaunch the Discord setup. Follow the on-screen installation instructions.
2. Whitelist/Remove Discord Files From Antivirus Software
Almost all the well-known antiviruses block some of the Discord installation files altering the access to those files.
So there are tons of Antiviruses available in the market, and each has a different way to whitelist files. However, we are here using ever famous and free Avast antivirus.
- Firstly, open the Avast by right-clicking the Avast icon and selecting Open Avast User interface option from the menu.
- Now once the Avast interface opens, click on the Protection tab from the options running down on the left of the Avast Screen.
- Click on the Virus Chest option displayed on the right. In this section, you’ll find all the quarantined files.
- Now locate the Discord related files in the list. Discord files can be identified easily as they start with Discord_ mostly or some similar variant.
- Now, as you’ll hover over the files, three dots will appear, click those and then select “restore and add exception” from the given list.
- Now repeat the step 5 above for each discord file.
- Restart the installation for Discord.
To avoid any future interruptions from the Avast when installing the Discord, we can add the discord folders in exception in Avast. That means the installation process will be smooth without any interruptions from Avast or Avast, putting the files again in Virus Chest.
Follow these steps:
- Again open the Avast as shown above.
- Now go to settings by clicking on the menu icon located in the top right windows of Avast.
- Then go to the General section displayed on the left.
- Select the Exceptions option from the left in the general section.
- Click on the “Add exception” option. Then browse the discord installation folder.
- Select “Exception”.
- Now, launch the Discord installer to install the Discord.
3. Solution For Windows 7 Users
This solution is especially for the Windows 7 users who struggle to install and then run Discord on their computer.
- Firstly, click on the Start Menu in your Windows 7. Then locate the “Computer” in the left menu, right-click on the “computer” and select manage from the drop-down menu. Allow the administrative permissions to proceed.
- Now go to the Server Manager and then features. Click the option “add features” located on the right side.
- Once the add feature wizard opens, locate the “Quality Windows Audio Video Experience” option. Check the given box and then click on Next to move forward.
- Now, confirm the installation and ensure that you have selected an option named QWAVE when confirming.
- Click the “Install” button and wait until the installation completes. Once the installation finishes, restart your computer. In this way, you’ll be saving the changes made to your PC.
4. Perform The Clean Reinstall
If you are not running Windows Server and also there are no issues related to the Antivirus, this method is the one for you! This method has successfully worked for many users, so give it a try.
The solution might be intuitive. However, each and every step of this solution is important. To reinstall the Discord properly, follow these steps:
- Firstly, make sure that you have logged in to your PC as an administrator. This is necessary because only an administrator can delete the program files.
- Now, search for the control panel from the Start menu. In windows 10, you can go to the control panel by clicking on the gear icon.
- Once the control panel, view the options according to categories from the top right corner. Then locate “Uninstall a program” under the Programs section in the control panel.
- Alternatively, if you are using the Settings app on the windows, click on the “Apps” option. This will open the list of all the installed programs on your PC.
- Now locate the Discord app in the settings app or control panel.
- Now click uninstall, this will open the uninstallation wizard for the Discord. The Window will prompt you, select “completely remove Discord on your computer.” Click yes to proceed uninstallation.
- Click Finish when the uninstallation completes and closes the Window.
To delete such files, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Run dialog box, either by searching it on the search bar or by clicking the Windows + R keys simultaneously. This will open the run box.
- Once the dialog box opens, type %appdata% in the box and click “OK”.
- This will open a directory, locate the Discord folder in the given files. Right-click the Discord folder and select delete option from the menu
- Now open the Run dialog box again as in step 1. Then type, %localappdata% in the dialog box and click “OK”.
- Again, locate the Discord folder and delete that as well.
- Ensure that the Discord folders are completely deleted, and there is no remaining folder.
Now, that all the uninstallation and deletion of discord files is done, it is time to reinstall the Discord from scratch. Firstly, download the latest version of Discord setup from its official website.
5. Launch Discord Without Administrative Privileges/Rights
- Right Click the Discord application and select the “properties” option. You can find the application on your Desktop or pin to your taskbar. If you can’t find it, simply search in the search bar.
- Once the Window opens, go to the shortcut tab and then select the “Advanced..” button.
- Uncheck the option Run as administrator and then click OK to save changes.
- Then again, go to the compatibility tab and uncheck the option “run as administrator” there as well. Apply changes by clicking OK.
Now, this will start the Discord as non-admin every time you launch the Discord. This might solve your problem, however, if it doesn’t give the administrative privileges again and then relaunch the Discord.